Helen Jeanne (Skewes) Plummer (1892-1951) was one of a small number of female micropaleontologists on the Gulf Coast of the U.S. during the 1920s and early 1930s. Educated at Northwestern University and University of Chicago, she was employed by the Illinois Geological Survey and then with Roxana Petroleum Company, a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 1918, she married a fellow geologist with Roxana, Frederick Byron Plummer. By 1925 she had established a reputation as an outstanding consulting paleontologist. In 1928 the couple moved to Austin, where her husband accepted a position with the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas. After his death in 1947, she became a regular staff member of the Bureau. Helen Plummer was a world expert on foraminifera of the Cretaceous and the Paleocene, describing many new species and genera and building an enormous personal collection of slides and samples. She died in Austin on January 11, 1951, and left essentially her entire estate to PRI, including collections, furniture, equipment, pictures, library, personal manuscripts and memorabilia, and a substantial cash bequest, the annual income on which more than doubled the institution’s budget. “The financial inheritance from the will of Helen Jeanne Plummer,” wrote Katherine Palmer in 1982, “changed the pattern and tempo of the PRI organization.” Among other things, it allowed for the hiring of the first full-time paid staff; Edward Marks was appointed to a newly established position of Curator in September 1951, a position he held until September 1952, spending most of his time unpacking and sorting the Plummer collections and library.